Wednesday, March 13, 2013

How to Get Parents to Visit Your Class Site


I've had a classroom blog for years.  But when my school told us that we had to send home a paper newsletter, meaning it couldn't be exclusively online, I felt that I would be doing double duty.   Why would parents go online for information if it is handed to them on paper?  I noticed that I would have 3-5 "regular" visitors and the rest of the parents stopped by so infrequently that I couldn't justify spending the extra time.  But for some reason I just couldn't give it up.  
Enter Remind 101 to the rescue.
Not only is Remind 101 great for general communication with my parents, but I found that it increased my classroom blog traffic.
If you're not familiar with Remind 101, here's a little promo video.  It was super simple to set up and I have had only positive feedback from parents.  They love the communication!
(I'm not explaining how to use Remind 101 in this post, but rather how I use it to get traffic on our class blog.)


I keep the app in my school folder on my phone:

When I'm ready to send a text and share about a blog post I click on my current class:

Here's an example of some of the texts I've sent with this app:

Here's how I use it to promote traffic on our class blog/site:
I always text the parents to say "Pics are posted on our blog" or "A new game has been posted"
or whatever the new post is about.  I put a link in the text so the parents can quickly access the post. It takes 5 seconds to send the text.  As a result about 90% of my students' parents regularly visit our class blog using this method!  It has made the time I spend on our classroom blog worth every minute!






3 comments:

  1. What a great idea! I use Remind 101 and have a class site that does not get much traffic (I referred a parent there the other day and she said "there's a class site?). I will definitely have to try this!

    NotJustChild'sPlay

    ReplyDelete
  2. Miss Trayers-It truly has made all the difference in the world! Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an awesome idea. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis