Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Drawing Conclusions

Today I introduced the common core skill of drawing conclusions. I used a chart that I made combining several ideas I saw on Pinterest (where else?).



Then, I used an app called "Peekaboo, Guess Who". It's $1.99, but I got it on sale for free! It's a simple app, probably geared toward preschoolers. But it worked perfectly to introduce this concept.




The app has 4 different habitats to choose from. The students would hear the animal sound and have to draw a conclusion as to what animal it was. I was very deliberate in the wording as I modeled it.



For instance, when they heard the animal behind the bush, we thought it through like this:
"The clue is that it lives in the jungle."
"I know that the sound is made by a Tiger." Or, "I know the sound doesn't come from an ape or snake."
"This makes me think that it's a tiger." (conclusion)






It was a lot of fun and by the end they really understood the process of drawing a conclusion!

1 comment:

  1. What a great idea for using the Ipad. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis