Thursday, November 1, 2012

No Prep iPad Literacy Center

I am now the proud owner (term used loosely) of 8 iPads in my classroom and while it's super exciting, it's a little daunting.  I'm the only one at my school who has more than one, so I have a huge responsibility to set the bar.  But, crazy me, I love the challenge!
One of the ways that I've been using the iPads the most, is in centers.
So, I share a no prep center (aren't those the best ones? Just bein' honest!).

Our reading curriculum provides retelling cards.  They're great and necessary, but to put the kids at a center with them just doesn't work.  They're done in 5 seconds flat.  Enter iPad.  Now they have to lay them out in order, practice their retelling, then they get to video each other doing the retelling.   I can  watch each child's video to assess them.  PRESTO, instant, engaging, common core aligned center!


Blessings to you,
Kris

12 comments:

  1. Oh, I love the way you are using those retell cards and the iPads. I'm so jealous that my reading series in my new grade level doesn't have those cards anymore- no-prep centers are so great!

    Jenny
    Luckeyfrog's Lilypad

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I grab my camera and take photos of the pages for the books that do not have retelling cards. Some of ours do but others don't. Now I have my own.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry, I made too many typing errors on the first comment. LOL . What I wanted to say was... What a great idea! I love the simplicity and easy execution of preparing and assessing this center idea! Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fantastic idea. I just received a tablet via Donor's Choose and have been racking my brain on clever ways to use it. You have solved two of my problems. One, clever ways to use the tablet and two, making sure students really do the work. If they are being filmed doing it, they have no out. Just love it when you can outwit the kids. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this idea! I'm packing it away for September! Thanks for sharing. I'm your newest follower.

    Heidi
    Secondgradealicious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a WONDERFUL idea! My students will absolutely love this! Thank you so much for sharing this easy, yet very meaningful center idea!
    Teacher Tam's Educational Adventures

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this idea! I have access to 6 I-pads 3 mornings per week. I am going to implement this idea. Thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm a speech-language pathologist and I use my iPad all the time to have kids act out and retell...explain vocabulary....ask questions in an interview format for other students....IT'S ENDLESS!! The kids LOVE seeing themselves on "film" (the little hams that they are!!) and so it's a win-win!! My husband works for Apple and gets that wonderful invention in the hands of our kids, so if I didn't use it, I'd hear it at home! GREAT JOB with your centers!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Would you mind sharing the name of the Reading Cirriculum Proram that you use which contains. Retelling cards? I love this idea!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great idea. We have 1:1 iPads and I am always looking for ways to use them as a tool for learning rather than just a way to access apps.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Do you have your students write out their scripts before they create the video? What are you assessing when you watch their videos? What is your goal?

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis