Sunday, July 29, 2012

Keepin' It Real


Well it's that time. Or pretty close...You know what I'm talking about-or you wouldn't be reading my blog LoL!
As we all brace ourselves for another school year, blogs have become our go-to resource, haven't they?

With that said, I have a confession to make.


Sometimes I read your sweet blogs and I feel completely inadequate as a teacher! And knowing how I feel, I can bet I'm not the only one. (& just for the record, this has nothing to do with all those fantastic blogs out there-it's all me!)
So, I thought I would share some of my inadequacies to help us all feel better, mmmmk?

Downfall #1. I buy desk tags from the teacher store-I don't make my own.

Downfall #2. I've written one and only unit and posted it on TPT. And it was so time consuming that I will probably never make another one!


Downfall #3. I don't make my own graphics and create fantastic printables.


Downfall #4. Sometimes I don't have a fantastic lesson planned and I just wing it.


Downfall #5. I don't sit on the floor with my students and whole-brain teach them all day long. (although I love to use those strategies in small spurts:))


Downfall #6. I do not have a color coded classroom library (though it is my dream:))

Downfall #7.  My classroom doesn't look all Pinterest-y

These are just a few of my million shortcomings. And ya know what? None of them matter. What does matter is that I love my students and teaching with all my heart-so much so that I would do it for free (well, maybe part-time LoL). I will always look for ways to be a better teacher. I'm so thankful for all of your blogs that inspire me!

Feel free to comment with some of your inadequacies! Think of it as a little back to school therapy :).

6 comments:

  1. I'm the same way. I buy a lot of things that I see and say "I could probably make that" but I know myself, it will never happen! :) I think just being out there reading the ideas does make us better teachers.

    NotJustChild'sPlay

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post!

    I have many of the same inadequacies...

    However, I also

    Don't have every unit in a binder with pages placed in page protectors. The binders I do have are not color coded either.

    and I don't have the art skills to pull of anchor charts that could be published! Mine look more like I wrote them while my class gave me ideas...no cute pics and rarely color-coordinated!

    Like you, I do love what I do, and I find that all of these ideas push me to do things better every day. However, when I mentor young teachers, one of my tips is ALWAYS...It's not going to look the same in your room. Make it work for you!

    That's what I try to do with all of the great ideas/lessons I find online!

    Jen
    Lifelong Learning

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree! It's easy for me to get caught up in the "I need to do..." to be a better teacher and feel inadequate. It helps me when I remember who I am in Christ and that he has given me everything that I need to be a good teacher if I just listen to him. I've been thinking about perfectionism vs. doing my all for the Glory of God. I've come to the conclusion that it's in my motivation. Am I wanting to do this new thing for my classroom to receive attention and accolades? Or am I doing because I believe it will help me as a teacher to bring more Glory to God? It's a slight thing but subtle and I find it makes all the difference.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am the same way :) but blogging has helped me also find some things I can 'brag' about, which can actually help keep me from feeling so inadequate. I'm also a huge proponent of functional over cute- sometimes, both can happen, but functional is more important and I try to make myself remember that! I have picked up a few tips, though... Adding a border to an anchor chart makes it look so much more pulled together for not a lot of effort! Loved this post, though!! I think we are all that way sometimes!

    Jenny
    Luckeyfrog's Lilypad

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hear ya. My favorite thing about teaching is that there are times when I can just teach. My students are engaged, having fun, and LEARNING! If I had 2000+ followers like some of these super-mega blogs, I'd feel like everything out of my mouth (or type) has to be impressive. Yeah, I make units on TPT but that is a money thing. Everything in my TPT store is something I USE so why not make money off of it? =) Don't feel inadequate. You do not have downfalls...you do what's best for your students and yourself and that is all that matters!

    Happy back to teaching!
    Emily @ Second Grade Silliness 

    ReplyDelete
  6. My favorite is number 4. It's the hardest for me to admit but I do it at times!

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis