Wednesday, January 11, 2012

What I'm Teaching Wednesday

Teaching division to 2nd graders is no easy task!  I think in most programs this concept is introduced in 3rd grade.  But that's neither here nor there.  I knew this would have to be a hands on lesson or I wouldn't stand  a chance to get through to my students.  So here's how we dove into division today!

I made this anchor chart to teach the concept:

I love using food to teach math.  Luckily, I don't have any allergy issues in my room this year so I can have at it!!
I gave each student 10 popcorn papers and a baggie of popcorn seeds.
We practiced dividing the seeds between the allotted number of popcorn papers.



Then, the students wrote the division problems 3 ways on their whiteboard.


Then, the fun part! We popped popcorn!  My favorite part was seeing their faces as they watched it pop.  I think many of them have never seen anything BUT microwave popcorn!

Lastly, we divided popped popcorn and practiced writing more division sentences!

It was a great lesson and the kids got it!!! Everyone understood the concept by the end of our popcorn division!  It doesn't get any better than that!

Blessings to you,
Kris








3 comments:

  1. Great job, Kris! I hope their parents appreciate what an awesome teacher you are!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an awesome way to teach this skill! Our kiddos don't learn how to divide until 3rd grade! I am going to share this with them (the 3rd grade teachers)! They are going to adore this! Your kiddos are blessed to have such a creative teacher!

    I am your newest follower and love your blog! You are so creative! I would love for you to visit me if you get the chance! =)

    bloggy blessings to you,

    Heather
    Heather's Heart

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great intro lesson! And you're right...I think a lot of kids only see microwave popcorn. I would have loved to have been there and saw their faces. Just came across your blog, enjoying your great hands-on ideas. I'll, for sure, be implementing a few of them in our homeschooling adventure this fall!

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis