Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Math Differentiation (Tuesday)

This week I am featuring ways to differentiate when teaching and drilling multiplication tables. See Monday's post here.

Today, I used an activity that I named "Shine Math".  As you read, you'll see that this same technique could be used for any subject area and adapted to "Shine Phonics", "Shine Science", etc.

First, I wrote the products of the 4 multiplication tables on the overhead projector.
I called out a multiplication fact.  For example, 5x4.  The student would then take an index card and position it so the correct answer "shines" on the index card.


After each of the students got a turn, we turned it into a competition.  2 students stood on either side of the number display.  When I call out a fact, the first student to make the answer shine on their index card got the point.



This is a fun way to increase their speed.
This activity is definitely a keeper!



4 comments:

  1. This is an awesome idea!! I am always looking for new ways to practice facts and the kids LOVE running up to the board! I can't wait for school to start so we can play!! Thanks a million!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this!!! Can't wait to try it. Thanks for sharing!

    ♥Rebecca
    Create●Teach●Share
    Create●Share●Inspire

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing Idea... I wish the teacher of my 2 3rd grade boys would practice something like this... I love all your tips and going to try what ever ones I can at home. Thank you for your help!!

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis