Friday, May 27, 2011

iPads Failures and Successes

I'm so excited to have my new iPad and I'm even more excited to have access to a class set next school year!  Right now, I'm just getting my feet wet and loving every minute.  Today I had a failure {a.k.a. lesson learned} and a success with the iPad .

Fail:
I used the iPad to review our Bible verse.  I used the Penultimate app. I think this one was $1.99.

 Each student wrote a word of the Bible verse and passed it on to the next person.  We had two teams and we timed each one.  The problem was the students wrote too big (which is to be expected of 2nd graders) and couldn't fit in the Bible verse.  The parts that they did fit in were not really legible.  This caused alot of confusion to say the least! This idea would work with just 1 spelling word or other short responses: lesson learned!  However, they were engaged the whole time!






Success:
The end of the year is here, and the kids are feeling it!  I've had to get very creative with my discipline system to keep them engaged.  So, today I gave points to each of the four groups in my classroom everytime I caught them being good.  The team with the most points at the end of the day won a prize.  The reward was to use the Toy Story app (which is free). 

Oh, how they loved it!  Even better, the rest of the class vowed to win on Tuesday so they could get a chance to read a story on the iPad! SUCCESS!


2 comments:

  1. That is so wonderful that you have an iPad in the classroom. How are you getting a class set? Through a grant? If so which one? Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My school is purchasing them!

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis