Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Yummy Spelling Practice

I introduced a very difficult spelling pattern this week in spelling and phonics.  The students are learning the final syllables -cious, -tious-, -sion, -tion, and -ture.  We need lots of reinforcement this week so the students can master this pattern.  I saw this cereal at Publix last night, and it was buy one get one-so that gave me an idea.

I put the students in 4 groups and gave them each a cup of the cereal.  I called out a word and they had to work as a group SILENTLY to spell the word-or their team was disqualified from that round.
It worked like a charm.  We spelled lots of words and they stayed silent! 
We couldn't find every letter of the alphabet so they had to improvise a little, and they made it work.
After our "game", they silently munched on the Alphabits and completed their phonics sheet.
Success!

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis