Friday, February 25, 2011

Roman Numerals

My secret weapon for teaching Roman numerals...toothpicks!  First, I teach the basics.  I just use our Saxon curriculum, which does a great job of introducing the concept.  I give each student about 10 toothpicks.  (I have them already in baggies, and have been using the same set for years.)  Then, they practice making the numbers that I call out.

I model the numbers on the overhead projector using kabob type sticks.  I let them come up and make the numbers on the overhead with my "big toothpicks" as well. 

Fun, Fun, Fun way to teach Roman numerals!

I'm linking here:

5 comments:

  1. What a perfect idea! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eeek... we use Saxon too. This is my first year in second, what lesson is roman numerals??

    ReplyDelete
  3. maybe L. 75-but we are a year ahead-so it's actually 3rd grade.

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis