Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Gnome Words

This week in phonics the concept is "ghost letters" (silent letters in words).  However, 7 year olds and ghosts shouldn't mix, so I came up with the idea of "gnome letters/words". With the recent release of Gnomeo & Juliet, this will certainly catch my students' attention!
So I did my best to recreate Gnomeo and Juliet with my cricut using the paper dolls cartridge. 
I placed them on a giant mushroom made from bulletin board paper. 

The students will be on the hunt for "gnome words" this week in their reading and work.  When they find one, they will write it on a round white sticky note and stick it on the mushroom.
I used this same concept for compound words a few weeks ago and it was a huge success. My students were on the hunt for the words all week.  They were also exposed to a lot more compound words than our curriculum provided for.  I'm expecting the same results this week with the "gnome words"!

Here I am with Orly Owl, our classroom take home buddy, at the movies to see Gnomeo and Juliet this weekend.  This is where the idea for "gnome words" hit me!

2 comments:

  1. Loved this idea! I used it last week in my classroom. Only my gnomes weren't as cute as yours. I've scheduled a post on my blog about it for tomorrow AM. You'll have to check it out. Thanks for inspiring me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're welcome! Can't wait to see your post!

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis